Saturday, December 11, 2010

There is a season

I have a sister in law that is always talking about the Seasons of your life.  I think that she read a book by Charles Swindoll of similiar title and I have it at the cabin.  I pick it up when I am there and read a page or two.  So my sister in law is a wonderfully wise and can be a compassionate person on a faith journey that is completely out of sync with my own.  We are only 9 years apart in age, but in our lives we have never been in the same Season.  So until the our appoitned time I will be happy just knowing that she is always there for me in spirit.  Thank you God for my sister in law who is loving and supportive and has planted many, many seeds in my heart. 

 
There is an appointed time for everything and a time for every affair under the heavens.

A time to be born and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant.
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to tear down and a time to build.
A time to weep, and a time to laugh. a time to mourn, and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather them; a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.
A time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to cast away.
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to be silent, and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate; a time of war and a time of peace.

We are moving to Chicago.  When my husband and I talked about him changing jobs so that we could spend more time together as a family, I had no idea what I was saying yes too.  My prayer was that God would show me exactly what his will is and I would faithfully follow.  I asked him to bless my husband with the grace to make wise decisions.  I knew that I could serve God no matter where we call home.

I must admit I'm not always the best bible reader.  Well, not just the bible--I tend not to read. I'm not a big reader--in order to read it requires sitting still and that is hard for me. 

But, as I began this process of moving my mind kept going back to Ecclesiastes 3 and my sister in laws words of wisdom about the Seasons of your life. 

Specifically a time to keep and a time to cast away.

I think that we have sent 25% of our house to Salvation Army.  It sort of does feel good to leave my mothers things, baby clothes, clothes that are too big or two small, maternity clothes, clothes with stains, if it does not make me feel great when I put it on I gave it away.  It didn't matter how much it cost to buy the cost of keeping it was far greater.  Without exaggeration we had about 30 huge black garbage bags of soft stuff.  We had many truck loads of other treasures that went out of our house.  The garage still has furniture waiting to be taken away. 

I sort of like having only a few outfits to chose from. 

How did it get to be so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment